Adapted from a recipe by Terry Blonder Golson (1,000 Lowfat Recipes)
- 1 1/2 c unbleached, all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t ground ginger
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1/4 c molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 c buttermilk
- 2 T chopped, uncrystallized candied ginger (MM Tip: You can find this at your local Trader Joe's)
- Beat together the eggs, buttermilk, molasses, and oil.
- In a separate bowl, blend together dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is moist but still slightly lumpy. Add the candied ginger pieces to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Preheat a skillet or griddle and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour each cake (1/4 c of batter) into the pan, and cook until bubbles start to burst on the surface. Turn and cook until golden.
- Note: This recipe does make a relatively thick batter. You can use the back of a spoon to spread out the pancake when you first put it in the pan. You may also decide to add a little more buttermilk to thin out the mix if they are too thick for your liking.