Monday, February 1, 2010

Food: Tuna Noodle Casserole

I was in a casserole mood this weekend. I don't know why. After all, they haven't ever really been a part of my menu line-up. I supposed it's since they seem to be too old-school...something a mom in the 60's would have made rather than a modern, self-proclaimed foodie. But, after being re-introduced to a healthier tuna-noodle, one-dish meals may become one of my cold weather staples. I mean, who would turn down something that's rich, hot, and super, super simple. Even though I don't like to admit it, we don't always have time to spend hours on a meal. And although I love tinkering in the kitchen, some days I'm worn out enough that all I want to do is relax and enjoy a meal - without all the prep.

Next time I make this, I'm tempted to make individual casseroles in these Fiesta dishes I'm in love with. They'd make a nice presentation for a home-style dinner party...and look prettier on the table. More on Fiestaware later...


Tuna Noodle Casserole
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens (May 2008)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 package egg noodles
  • 3 stalks celery (with tops) chopped
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 2 Tb unsalted butter
  • 2 Tb olive oil
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 3 T dijon mustard
  • 2 c skim or fat-free milk
  • 1, 16 oz package tuna (packed in water)
  • 1/2 jar roasted red peppers, chopped (I like Trader Joes Roasted Pimentos)
  • 1/2 t lemon pepper seasoning
  • Baked Potato Chips (Optional)

DIRECTIONS
  • Preheat oven to 375.
  • Prepare noodles according to package, drain and return to pot, set aside.
  • Cook celery and onion in medium saucepan until slightly tender, stir in flour, mustard, lemon pepper. Add milk and cook until slightly thickened and boiling.
  • Mix sauce, peppers, tuna and noodles in noodle pot. Pour into glass casserole dish (1 1/2 quart) that has been lightly greased.
  • Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
  • Crumble chips on top and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until heated through.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails