Ellie Krieger's Oven Baked Onion Rings
4 cups baked potato chips (Baked chips made from whole potatoes work best)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (I left this out since we were having spicy sausage - they still tasted great)
1 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 to 2 large Vidalia onions, peeled
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet slightly with oil and set aside.
- Place potato chips in the bowl of a food processor and process into crumbs, about 20 seconds. Transfer to a shallow bowl, add cayenne, and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, 2 tablespoons of flour, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Slice onions into 1/2-inch circles and separate into rings, keeping only large, whole rings (reserve rest of onions for other uses). You should come out with about 12 to 14 rings.
- Place the remaining flour in a sealable plastic bag, then add onions, and shake to coat.
- Dip onions 1 at a time into the buttermilk mixture, then dip into potato chip crumbs and place on baking sheet.
- Spray canola oil evenly over rings and bake for 20 minutes, or until coating is crisp.
- Season with salt, to taste, and serve immediately. (I didn't think they needed any salt due to the potato chips containing plenty already).