Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Garden: The Peony Garden at Nichols Arboretum

Before going out to dinner last Saturday, Jonathan took me to see my favorite late May/early June wonder - the Peony Garden at Nichols Arboretum (University of Michigan). I only discovered the garden a year ago after living in the metro-Detroit area for 7 years (Why did it take me so long?!?).

Since we visited the arboretum last year, we were better educated about where to park. But we still weren't smart enough to discover the wide-open lot next to the Ronald McDonald House (closest to the garden) was permit parking only on week days (i.e. free on weekends) and instead, fed the meter by parallel parking across the street. Oh well, I suppose we now we know for next year...

We strolled into the garden behind an elderly couple holding hands and I couldn't help but think how lovely it was to see the two of them taking an evening strolls through garden, still in love after all of those years. There were a lot of other couples and families in the arboretum and, as we were entering, Jonathan told me a man gave him a sympathetic look when he we passed by (I suppose not everyone can appreciate massive amounts of peonies in all their glory!). It was really a peaceful and pretty setting. There were people picnicking on the hill and others running through the arboretum on an evening jog. But most visitors were like the two of us, wandering around, inhaling the fragrant blooms, trying to capture the fleeting beauty. I think if I could live all summer long in a garden filled with blooming peonies I would...









No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails