Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gardening: Bloom Update

I thought I'd share some flower garden eye candy with all of you today...orange oriental poppies, pink lupine, white festiva maxima peonies and purple clematis.

Over the years peonies have become my favorite flower, in particular the festiva maxima variety I have growing in several locations on my property. There's just something about their huge, petal-heavy blossoms and lovely scent that puts a big smile across my face and completely relaxes me. I suppose I've always had a special place in my heart for these flowers. Growing up, we had an old chicken coop at the front of our property (used for storage, not chickens). Sarah Bernhardt peonies bloomed every summer along the side of the cement block building and I would always admire them. I remember not being allowed to pick them when I was younger since they attracted ants (I would end up bringing the pesky creatures into the house with me). But who could have blamed the little guys - peonies look and smell so delicious!







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails