Saturday, June 20, 2009

Gardening: Mother Nature

Sometimes Mother Nature isn't quite so motherly. Last night storms blew through the Detroit area. And although normally I would welcome lots of rain in mid-to-late June, this was more than just a gentle shower. As you can see from the photos below, we have some flooding next to the house. We had it get pretty close to the house a couple of springs ago after large quantities of snow melted and the ground was still frozen. But I've never seen it get this high in the summer months - probably since this time the flooding was caused by a clog in the grate covering the drainage pipe. I fear many of the plants I started from seed have been lost as >60% of the area we planted is under water. I doubt it'll dry up in time to save them. Keep you fingers crossed...maybe they're stronger than I think.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails