Friday, April 24, 2009

Food: Quick Weeknight Meal - Antipasto-style Pasta

OK...so this is a really bad, fuzzy photo from my iPhone. And it doesn't really represent the food that well because these were leftovers I had for lunch the other day (not the pretty, fresh presentation from the evening I first made it). But I wanted to share this yummy recipe I made for Jonathan and I. The recipe came courteousy of my April 2009 Food and Wine and is compliments of TLC's "Take Home Chef" Curtis Stone. He has a new book out - you should check it out.

Curtis Stone, Food & Wine, Rigatoni with Spicy Italian Salami, Cherry Tomatoes, Olives and CapersRigatoni with Spicy Italian Salami, Cherry Tomatoes, Olives and Capers

Total Time: 30 Minutes
  • 1 package of cherry tomatoes (my modification, Curtis said "20," I wanted a little more)
  • 4 t EVOO
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 lb spicy sopressata, halved and thinly sliced (This will be in the fancy cheese area of the grocery store. I had to settle for regular sopressata since I couldn't find spicy at Bush's)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 4 since I like garlic)
  • 1/4 c dry white wine (give or take a little more if you want some liquid at the bottom of your pasta bowl)
  • 1/4 c pitted kalamata olives, halved
  • 1/4 drained capers
  • 1/4 c chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 lb rigatoni (I used whole wheat Roman rigatoni - it was yummy even before adding any toppings to it)
Preheat oven to 375. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (make sure the water is nice and salty, I've discovered this is the real trick to good pasta).
In a small baking dish, toss the tomatoes with 2 t of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the tomatoes for about 10 minutes (or longer) until their skins begin to split.

In a large skillet, heat the remaining 3 t of oil. Add the sopressata and cook over moderately high heat for 2 minutes (If you couldn't find spicy sopressata, add some red pepper flakes to the oil before cooking the salami). Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sopressata to paper towels to drain.

Add the garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the roasted tomatoes and lightly smash them with the back of a spoon so they burst. Add the wine to the skillet and simmer over moderate heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sopressata, olives, capers, and parsley.

Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni in the boiling water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 c of the pasta cooking water.

Add the rigatoni and cooking water to the sauce and toss over moderate heat until the pasta is thoroughly coated. Season with salt and pepper and serve in shallow bowls (I served the pasta with fresh, crusty bread slices and some cubes of toasted bread cheese on the side).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails